A sequel to Croteam's cult philosophical puzzler launches later this year.
It was eight years ago that we introduced something very different from Serious Sam, our famously outrageous series of first-person shooters. The Talos Principle was a philosophical and thought-provoking puzzle game with a critically acclaimed story—and, honestly, who expected that from the people behind an FPS where you battle jetpack-equipped chimps with grenade launchers for arms?
The Talos Principle 2, launching on PlayStation 5 later this year, is the long-awaited sequel to this beloved puzzle game. It will greatly (and we mean greatly) expand on everything that made the original special. More mind-bending puzzles to solve, more surreal environments to explore, more secrets to uncover, a deeper story to lose yourself in, and bigger questions to boggle your brain.
Your adventure in The Talos Principle 2 begins in an era where humanity as we know it has long gone extinct, but our culture lives on in a world inhabited by robots made in our image. You embark on a quest to investigate a mysterious megastructure, and along the way you’ll be confronted with questions about the nature of the cosmos, faith versus reason, and the fear of repeating humankind’s mistakes.
Pretty heavy, right? The Talos Principle 2 doesn’t pull any punches when it comes to the depth of its story. It wants you to think—but not only about its epic narrative. There are, naturally, puzzles to solve here as well: and with varying levels of difficulty to suit any player. The sequel builds on the first-person 3D puzzle design of the original game, including using refractors to direct beams of light and creating copies of yourself to trigger switches and bypass obstacles.
But these established puzzles are also joined by new gameplay including gravity manipulation and mind transference—but we’ll let you discover these intricacies of these unique mechanics for yourself. The Talos Principle 2 will feel familiar but fresh at the same time. You can finish the game without solving every puzzle, but those seeking true mastery can attempt to conquer them all. Just watch out for the optional Gold puzzles, because they will melt your brain.
The Talos Principle 2 is a giant leap forward for the series—particularly the world design. These are the biggest, strangest, and most beautiful environments Croteam has ever made, taking full advantage of the latest in graphics tech. You’ll visit several all-new locations including a city on the brink of a paradigm shift and the varied landscapes of an island that holds the keys to the future.
If your brain is overheating and you need a break from puzzling, there are buried secrets and an entire forgotten history to unearth in the game’s vast, haunting world. You’ll also be directly involved in its complex, character-driven story, making decisions that can lead to multiple endings. The Talos Principle 2’s narrative is itself a puzzle to be solved, and any player who dedicates themselves to digging up its deepest, darkest secrets will have their inquisitiveness rewarded.
The Talos Principle 2 launches later this year on PlayStation 5.
PlayStation Showcase 2023
PlayStation Studios & third-party publisher announcements
- Final Fantasy XVI launch trailer, Salvation, revealed
- Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 gameplay revealed
- Introducing Concord—a new PVP multiplayer FPS from Firewalk Studios coming to PS5 and PC
- Bungie unveils Marathon
- Watch the first trailer for Dragon’s Dogma 2, Capcom’s upcoming action-RPG
- Tower of Fantasy, an immersive cyberpunk open-world RPG, hits PS5 and PS4 this summer
- Two new playable characters join the Granblue Fantasy: Relink roster
- First Assassin’s Creed Mirage gameplay revealed, launches October 12
- Alan Wake 2 launches on PS5 October 17
- Foamstars, a fresh new party shooter revealed for PS5 and PS4
- Helldivers 2 drops on PlayStation 5 later this year
- New Immortals of Aveum trailer highlights enemies of the realm
- Introducing Fairgame$, a competitive heist experience coming to PS5 and PC
PS VR2 announcements
- New gameplay details revealed for Crossfire: Sierra Squad, coming to PS VR2
- Beat Saber launches on PS VR2 today with new Queen Music Pack
- Immersive PS VR2 action-shooter, Synapse, launches on July 4
- First look at Arizona Sunshine 2 revealed, launches on PS VR2 this year
- First PS VR2 footage for Resident Evil 4 VR Mode revealed
- Five Nights at Freddy’s: Help Wanted 2 – hiring again on PS VR2
- Revealing Ultros, a psychedelic sci-fi side-scroller coming to PS5 and PS4 in 2024
- Welcome to Revenant Hill, where your journey to become a witch’s familiar begins
- Towers of Aghasba hits PS5 next year – new gameplay details
- Revealing Cat Quest: Pirates of the Purribean, coming to PS5 and PS4 next year
- Phantom Blade Zero: a new beginning in a long journey
- Teardown hits PS5 later this year
- Meet the friends and foes of The Plucky Squire’s storybook world
- Introducing Neva, the beautiful new game from the developer of Gris
- The Talos Principle 2 brings mind-bending puzzles and haunting beauty to PS5
- Introducing Sword of the Sea, a new game from Giant Squid