Introducing Saga Anderson and a first look at gameplay details featuring two playable protagonists.
Here at Remedy, we’ve been waiting a very long time to be able to show you Alan Wake 2. Check out our new gameplay reveal trailer below, which debuted at today’s PlayStation Showcase. The team here at Remedy poured their heart into this trailer; we hope you like what you see.
Alan Wake 2 is a single-player psychological survival horror experience and the sequel to the 2010 and multiple Game of the Year award-winning original game, Alan Wake. The sequel is built from the ground up to be a true, next-generation experience on PlayStation 5 with stunningly detailed visuals that bring our story, action, and environments to life through Remedy’s Northlight engine.
Never played the first Alan Wake (or Alan Wake Remastered)? No need to worry, as players who may have missed out on the first game can easily dive into the sequel without any prior experience or knowledge of the game’s story. It was important for us to create an approachable experience for new players without forgetting our long-standing fans. Another key pillar for us was ensuring that we respect fundamental survival horror principles: make the gameplay challenging for experienced players yet easy to navigate for those who want to focus on enjoying the game’s rich, layered story.
As the name suggests, the game is centered around horror writer Alan Wake. Today, in addition to sharing the release date, we’re also very excited to introduce a co-leading protagonist and second playable character: Saga Anderson.
A string of ritualistic murders threatens Bright Falls, a small-town community surrounded by the Pacific Northwest wilderness. Anderson, an accomplished FBI agent with a reputation for solving impossible cases, arrives to investigate the murders. Soon the events spiral into a nightmare when she discovers pages of a horror story that start to come true around her. Somehow the events seem to lead to Alan Wake, the horror writer who went missing 13 years ago.
Alan Wake, a lost writer trapped in a nightmare beyond our world, writes a story in an attempt to shape the reality around him and escape his prison. With a dark horror hunting him in the Dark Place, Wake is trying to retain his sanity and beat the devil at his own game.
The game begins with Anderson coming to investigate the murders in Bright Falls with her veteran fellow agent Alex Casey. After certain events have transpired, fans can play Wake and Anderson’s respective stories in any order they choose. Their journeys echo and foreshadow each other, in this intense atmospheric story, taking players on two separate dark and disturbing paths. We are excited to allow players to decide how to experience the story of Alan Wake 2.
Our team has hand-crafted several unique locations for players to explore. Anderson’s story takes place in the Pacific Northwest, consisting of three hubs: the small town of Bright Falls, the stunning primordial forest surrounding the mysterious Cauldron Lake, and the run-down town of Watery. And finally, the Dark Place is a shifting, looping reality where Wake’s story takes place.
We are only scratching the surface of this journey. We want to thank our fans for their continued support and unwavering patience—we’ll share much more on Alan Wake 2 in the coming months.
PlayStation Showcase 2023
PlayStation Studios & third-party publisher announcements
- Final Fantasy XVI launch trailer, Salvation, revealed
- Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 gameplay revealed
- Introducing Concord—a new PVP multiplayer FPS from Firewalk Studios coming to PS5 and PC
- Bungie unveils Marathon
- Watch the first trailer for Dragon’s Dogma 2, Capcom’s upcoming action-RPG
- Tower of Fantasy, an immersive cyberpunk open-world RPG, hits PS5 and PS4 this summer
- Two new playable characters join the Granblue Fantasy: Relink roster
- First Assassin’s Creed Mirage gameplay revealed, launches October 12
- Alan Wake 2 launches on PS5 October 17
- Foamstars, a fresh new party shooter revealed for PS5 and PS4
PS VR2 announcements
- New gameplay details revealed for Crossfire: Sierra Squad, coming to PS VR2
- Beat Saber launches on PS VR2 today with new Queen Music Pack
- Immersive PS VR2 action-shooter, Synapse, launches on July 4
- First look at Arizona Sunshine 2 revealed, launches on PS VR2 this year
- First PS VR2 footage for Resident Evil 4 VR Mode revealed
- Five Nights at Freddy’s: Help Wanted 2 – hiring again on PS VR2
- Revealing Ultros, a psychedelic sci-fi side-scroller coming to PS5 and PS4 in 2024
- Welcome to Revenant Hill, where your journey to become a witch’s familiar begins
- Towers of Aghasba hits PS5 next year – new gameplay details
- Revealing Cat Quest: Pirates of the Purribean, coming to PS5 and PS4 next year
- Phantom Blade Zero: a new beginning in a long journey
- Teardown hits PS5 later this year
- Meet the friends and foes of The Plucky Squire’s storybook world
- Introducing Neva, the beautiful new game from the developer of Gris
- The Talos Principle 2 brings mind-bending puzzles and haunting beauty to PS5
- Introducing Sword of the Sea, a new game from Giant Squid
Join the ConversationAdd a Comment
But don't be a jerk!
Loading More Comments