Get ready to spread peace and liberty with extreme prejudice.
Hello, future Helldivers! I’m Katherine, social media and community manager from Arrowhead Game Studios, and I’m so excited to tell the world about Helldivers 2– our new cooperative shooter that packs in frantic, third-person action against massive enemy mobs. Arrowhead has been quietly, but furiously working on a sequel to our much-loved title Helldivers. Our vision for the next installment always needed to be bigger, better and more hellish! What you see in our first trailer will, we hope, excite you and blow your minds! Along with the trailer, we wanted to give you some details of what you can expect, so let’s get you prepped for the fight.
Freedom. Peace. Managed Democracy. Your Super Earth-born rights. The key pillars of our civilization. These are under attack from deadly alien civilizations, conspiring to destroy the Super Earth and its values.
You’ll step into the boots of an elite class of soldiers whose mission is to spread peace, liberty, and Managed Democracy using the biggest, baddest, and most explosive tools in the galaxy. Team up with up to four friends and wreak havoc on the alien scourge that threatens the safety of your home, Super Earth.
The Helldivers must take on the role of galactic peacekeepers in this Galactic War and protect their home planet, spread the message of Democracy, and liberate the hostiles by force.
We don’t send our Helldivers planet side without proper back up, but it’s up to you to decide how and when to call it in. Not only will you have a host of superpowered primary weapons and customizable loadouts, you also have the ability to call on stratagems during play.
In the heat of the battle and your squad needs to take out a massive onslaught of Terminids in one go? You can have an Eagle drop a 500KG bomb,leaving behind only liberated bug corpses. Need to lay down a defensive perimeter? You can call for the Anti-Personnel Mine Deployer to layer the battlefield with deadly mines.
Players can decide how to take down each enemy surge using a multitude of offensive and defensive tools. As you complete missions, you’ll be able to upgrade your ship and build an even more impressive arsenal. Everything from shield generators to turrets to large-scale airstrikes can be used to give your team the upper hand.
They say everything is better with friends. Especially when it comes to raining destruction down on the enemies of Liberty. True to our co-op roots at Arrowhead, we’ve made sure Helldivers 2has our best cooperative* gameplay yet. Collaboration will be vital: teams will synergize on loadouts, strategize their approach for each mission, and complete objectives together.
But for maximum challenge and collaboration, friendly fire is always on. Communicate with your squad mates and make sure those stray bullets and mines take down the real adversaries. Remember that you will return home celebrated as heroes, whether you’re dead or alive.
A message from our glorious leader
We can’t wait to see what kind of mayhem you’ll unleash on democracy’s foes. Before I leave you though, our Creative Director and Glorious Leader of the Arrowhead Revolution, Johan Pilestedt wanted to share his thoughts:
“Greetings, cannon fodder. I’m Johan, Creative Director of Helldivers 2, and I’m ecstatic to finally reveal the project we’ve devoted ourselves to over the past few years. Our team’s achievements in this time have been a source of immense pride. Whether you’re a seasoned player of the original game or a newcomer to the Helldivers universe, I can’t wait for you to dive into our tongue-in-cheek portrayal of a totalitarian regime.
“Brace yourselves for adrenaline-fueled moments, intense action, and a bond that forms when you rely on your team to complete missions or comically fail due to the reckless handling of over-the-top firepower. Most importantly, we hope that the laughter we share in the studio while playing the game will resonate with you as you enjoy this crazy universe.
“See you in Hell, divers!”– Johan Pilestedt, CEO and Game Director, Arrowhead Games Studios
*Internet connection required. Paid PS Plus subscription required to play on PS5; fees recur until cancelled. Age restrictions apply. Full terms: play.st/psplus-usageterms
PlayStation Showcase 2023
PlayStation Studios & third-party publisher announcements
- Final Fantasy XVI launch trailer, Salvation, revealed
- Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 gameplay revealed
- Introducing Concord—a new PVP multiplayer FPS from Firewalk Studios coming to PS5 and PC
- Bungie unveils Marathon
- Watch the first trailer for Dragon’s Dogma 2, Capcom’s upcoming action-RPG
- Tower of Fantasy, an immersive cyberpunk open-world RPG, hits PS5 and PS4 this summer
- Two new playable characters join the Granblue Fantasy: Relink roster
- First Assassin’s Creed Mirage gameplay revealed, launches October 12
- Alan Wake 2 launches on PS5 October 17
- Foamstars, a fresh new party shooter revealed for PS5 and PS4
- Helldivers 2 drops on PlayStation 5 later this year
- New Immortals of Aveum trailer highlights enemies of the realm
- Introducing Fairgame$, a competitive heist experience coming to PS5 and PC
PS VR2 announcements
- New gameplay details revealed for Crossfire: Sierra Squad, coming to PS VR2
- Beat Saber launches on PS VR2 today with new Queen Music Pack
- Immersive PS VR2 action-shooter, Synapse, launches on July 4
- First look at Arizona Sunshine 2 revealed, launches on PS VR2 this year
- First PS VR2 footage for Resident Evil 4 VR Mode revealed
- Five Nights at Freddy’s: Help Wanted 2 – hiring again on PS VR2
- Revealing Ultros, a psychedelic sci-fi side-scroller coming to PS5 and PS4 in 2024
- Welcome to Revenant Hill, where your journey to become a witch’s familiar begins
- Towers of Aghasba hits PS5 next year – new gameplay details
- Revealing Cat Quest: Pirates of the Purribean, coming to PS5 and PS4 next year
- Phantom Blade Zero: a new beginning in a long journey
- Teardown hits PS5 later this year
- Meet the friends and foes of The Plucky Squire’s storybook world
- Introducing Neva, the beautiful new game from the developer of Gris
- The Talos Principle 2 brings mind-bending puzzles and haunting beauty to PS5
- Introducing Sword of the Sea, a new game from Giant Squid