PlayStation 5 revealed, great new PS5 games, and takeaways from today's PS5 showcases.
That’s a wrap! Today was an exciting day for gamers around the world, as the PlayStation 5 showcase granted us our first look at PS5 games under development… and culminated with the reveal of the PS5 system itself.
Actually, two PS5 systems.
At PS5’s launch, we will offer two options: a PlayStation®5 console with an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive and a PlayStation®5 Digital Edition without a disc drive. The PS5 gameplay experience will be the same, so the choice is all yours. While there are some slight differences in the look of each model, for the overall design, we wanted to deliver a console that’s bold, stunning, and unlike any previous generation of PlayStation.
On the software side, the industry’s most talented developers unveiled a lineup of games that will define PS5 when it launches this holiday. Grand Theft Auto V started the party, revealing an expanded and enhanced edition due to hit PS5 in 2021.
PlayStation Studios also served up a massive buffet of extraordinary PlayStation 5 game reveals (read details here) totaling nine titles. It kicked off with Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales — the next chapter in the acclaimed partnership between the legendary studio and Marvel Games and is due out for PS5 this holiday. Insomniac also revealed Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, a galaxy-hopping new PS5 adventure in the fan-favorite Insomniac series.
Our friends at Guerrilla gave us a breathtaking first look at Horizon Forbidden West for PlayStation 5, a gorgeous new adventure set in a distant land ravaged by massive storms. And Polyphony Digital dropped by to unveil Gran Turismo 7 as The Real Driving Simulator prepares for a new generation of PlayStation hardware.
And I know you’re excited about Demon’s Souls, a gorgeous PS5 remake from Bluepoint Games and Japan Studio.
When creating a new console, it’s essential to invite bright, talented independent developers into the process early. And it was inspiring to see such a wide array of innovative new indie titles showcased. Let’s just list them out:
- Bugsnax from Young Horses
- A whimsical, narrative-driven adventure from the creators of Octodad. Investigate the mysterious Snacktooth Island, home of the legendary half-bug, half-snack creatures.
- Goodbye Volcano High from Ko_op
- A cinematic narrative game that touches on love, friendship, and self-realization in the final days of civilization.
- Jett: The Far Shore from Superbrothers + Pine Scented
- A bittersweet interstellar trip to a mythic oceanic planet in a narrative-driven action adventure, featuring an emotional mix of storytelling and world exploration.
- Kena: Bridge of Spirits from Ember Lab
- A story-driven action adventure game combining exploration and discovery with fast-paced combat.
- Little Devil Inside from Neostream Interactive
- Set in a “Victorian-like” era, embark on dangerous missions to gain evidence and findings for your employer, a mysterious professor.
- Oddworld: Soulstorm from Oddworld Inhabitants
- A major visual and cinematic lead for the celebrated series, with intelligent new gameplay mechanics and twisted new devices to enable explosive deviousness.
- From Oddworld Inhabitants: “Oddworld: Soulstorm’s scope and scale are larger than we have tackled before. We plan to use PS5’s stunning graphic fidelity, mind-blowing 3D audio, and the DualSense controller to enhance our storytelling and artistic abilities to bring you closer to the game and to create an even deeper emotional Oddworld experience…”
- The Pathless from Giant Squid / Annapurna
- The mythic tale of an archer and an eagle in a vast forest who venture to a mystical island to dispel a curse of darkness.
- Stray from BlueTwelve Studio / Annapurna
- A little cat in a futuristic walled city, devoid of life, befriends a sentient drone. The cat must find its way home, and perhaps help the city along the way.
- Solar Ash from Heart Machine / Annapurna
- A journey through a surreal and vivid world filled with mystery, endearing characters, and massive enemy encounters across a vast open world.
PlayStation’s third-party partners also brought in some big new PS5 titles. Let’s take a look:
- Grand Theft Auto V from Rockstar Games
- From Rockstar: “Grand Theft Auto V for PlayStation 5 will feature a range of technical improvements, visual upgrades and performance enhancements to take full advantage of the console’s powerful new hardware, making the game more beautiful and more responsive than ever. Plus, a new standalone version of Grand Theft Auto Online will be also available, free for three months exclusively on PlayStation 5.” (PlayStation Plus required for online multiplayer)
- Ghostwire: Tokyo from Tango Gameworks / Bethesda Softworks
- From Bethesda: “From Shinji Mikami and the team at Tango Gameworks comes Ghostwire: Tokyo, a next-gen action-adventure game coming to consoles exclusively for PlayStation 5 in 2021. Tango Gameworks has taken full advantage of the power of the PS5’s next-gen hardware to create a stunning, immersive, and mysterious world to experience. Explore the streets of a city filled with spirits and mysterious otherworldly threats, with an arsenal of powerful abilities at your command.”
- Godfall from Counterplay Games
- From Counterplay Games: “You are the last of the Valorian knights, god-like warriors able to equip Valorplates, legendary armor sets that transform wielders into unstoppable masters of melee combat. Players will tear through foes as they climb through some of the elemental realms…. We’re still hard at work and can’t wait for players to experience Godfall when it makes its console debut on PS5 and launches on PC this holiday season.”
- Project Athia from Luminous Productions / Square Enix
- “Project Athia is the culmination of our philosophy here at Luminous Productions to create completely new and fresh gaming experiences that fuse together the latest technologies with art. With the PS5, our vision truly comes to life, and with Project Athia players can look forward to being transported to a vast and detailed world filled with beauty and dismay.”
- Hitman 3 from IO Interactive
- From IO Interactive: “Hitman 3 is the dramatic conclusion to the World of Assassination trilogy and will put you back into the shoes (and stylish suit) of Agent 47, a ruthless professional assassin who must take on the most important contracts of his career.”
- NBA 2K21 from 2K Sports
- 2K Sports stopped by to give us an eye-popping first look at pre-alpha PS5 development footage of NBA 2K21.
- Deathloop from Arkane Studios / Bethesda Softworks
- From Arkane Studios: “With stunning and stylish environments, memorable combat encounters, and the freedom to tackle each mission at any pace and with any approach you choose, this is Arkane like you’ve never seen (or felt) it before, built with next-gen in mind. Deathloop is being developed for a new generation of hardware and will launch on console exclusively for PlayStation 5.”
- Resident Evil Village from Capcom
- From Capcom: “…the fear of dark corners has been replaced with the anxiety of the unknown as Ethan searches for answers within decrepit buildings among snow-covered trees. The return of a first-person perspective will bring a visceral edge to combat… With a greater focus on combat and exploration compared to Resident Evil 7, the village itself is just as important a character as any other, a location with a life of its own that will frequently keep you on edge as you discover its secrets.”
- Pragmata from Capcom
- Capcom also gave us a first look at a thought-provoking PS5 game called Pragmata.
Phew! There’s a lot to look forward to this holiday. From all of us here at PlayStation, thanks for joining us on this PS5 journey. We’re incredibly excited about the next chapter, and we’ll have more details to share about PS5 and the broader PlayStation ecosystem as we close in on launch this holiday.
PlayStation 5 – The Future of Gaming
- PS5 showcase recap: Everything you need to know
- Worldwide Studios: First look at 9 new PS5 games
- Tribes of Midgard makes its console debut on PlayStation 5 in 2021
- The Pathless is coming to PS5
- Fear surrounds you in Resident Evil Village, coming to PS5 in 2021
- Deathloop makes its console debut on PS5 this holiday
- Half-bug, half-snack: Bugsnax arrives on PS5 this holiday
- Hitman 3 brings stealth, style to PS5 and PS4 in January
- Travel into the void in Solar Ash, coming to PlayStation 5
- Godfall debuts first official PlayStation 5 gameplay trailer
- Carve out a future: Jett: The Far Shore deploys to PS5 holiday 2020
- Ghostwire: Tokyo makes its console debut on PS5 in 2021
- Oddworld: Soulstorm is coming to PlayStation 5
- Goodbye Volcano High, an end-of-era love story, is coming to PS5
- Kena: Bridge of Spirits from indie studio Ember Lab announced for PS5
- A first look at Project Athia, designed for PS5
- Stray is coming to PS5 from BlueTwelve and Annapurna Interactive
- Grand Theft Auto V coming to PlayStation 5 in 2021
Comments are closed.
PLEASE ADD A ORIGINAL GRAY VERSION!
I like it, but it will get dirty quickly.
Just wait a few days and you new white PS5 will probably be grey…or yellow..
ماتي وقت بيع بيس 5في السوق
For the love of all that is holy, please PLEASE offer a 90’s PlayStation Gray color option at launch! Would love to see the old classic color on the new amazing chasis!
Best looking games console ever will look even better in black with the blue lights Bravo Sony PlayStation I’ve got all PlayStation consoles except the Vita and have always had disc games I’m tempted to go digital for the first time the top game there has to be Spider-Man Miles Morales which is actually a sequel spin off as Spider-Man 2 comes out in 2022 so Peter Parker will be back speaking of superheroes can someone tell me What ever happened to the new Batman game that was supposed to come out this year ?
Great show, they’re really getting the hang of this. Love the exclusives as always. Gave a cheer in particular to see LittleBigPlanet return! Love the coloring, lighting and the smoothness of it all. Console design is great as always, I just hope it isn’t too loud… And while I applaud the choice between a disc drive or not (just the choice, not a slippery slope towards all-digital), I’m a bit disappointed not to see the same freedom of choice in controller size (or, for another matter, online costs having been exclusively combined with PS+, because downloading games all the time is sure to do wonders for an online experience). Also hoping I can remap that Share button to something useful, like a physical save button, and that the adaptive triggers work in such a way that you can revert them to a simple click instead of triggers to reduce slowdown in shooters.
Love the designs! After three similar looking consoles, it was definitely time to refresh the look. I’m genuinely torn between the digital vs. disc options, depending on the price difference.
Please,i want to know more about that headset: noise cancelling? will it be compatible with psvr avoiding problems while wearing???
Need to know when pre order is available ? Great job Sony !
Looks so good, can’t wait for those games too!
It looks like a lot the TELMEX modems and routers XD
Hmmm…looks like designers were trying a little too hard. Also – can I lay it flat?
So, the PlayStation 5 digital version will come with the headphones, remote, two controllers, and camera or are they sold separately? My guess is they’ll be sold separately. As much as I would get that version, I might get the physical version because of collector’s edition games.
Of course they are sold separately. It doesn’t make sense to bundle all those things because not all people need two controllers, or use Astro headsets or whatever, etc. There may be a bundle available but that won’t be the default option. That will be the console only, like always.
Great show Playstation team! The games look great. I want almost every game showcased. I was very glad to see the full PS5 product line reveal. Beautiful and bold. I love it! I’m glad to see the digital version offered. I’m about 99% digital only already. Can’t wait to see more info (PSVR2). My body is ready!
Good things come to those who wait. Nicely done, PlayStation. I like the new slogan too. “Play has no limits”.
Make an all in one bundle at launch with the system, headset, camera and remote. I will pay whatever price
TAKE MY MONEY, SONY!!!
First of all, I want to say thank you to everyone involved in the development of these games and PlayStation team for this amazing effort. You have got me and everyone else very excited about what lies ahead for console gaming.
Now, the PS5 console and all the additional accessories …. does it come in that matte black finish?
Gorgeous. Bravo, Sony! I’ll be there day one to purchase two of them (one w/disc for living room and one digital edition for the office). Thank you for giving me the choice to get a digital only version! Love it!
The PS5 system looks pretty awesome & slick design. It also comes with a free game too (Astro’s Playroom) with each system just like the old days when NES, SNES (Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt, Super Mario World respectfully) and even SEGA Genesis(Sonic the Hedgehog) came with a free game. My guess is it may cost between $500-$600 depending on which cool features they have & it will feature backward compatibility for at least the PS4 games.
Everything you need to know
No Skyrim? No thanks.
Haha if you aren’t joking, the PS4 version will play on the PS5.
Imma need a “Miles Morales” themed PS5 ASAP Sony!
Can the ps5 actually take ps4 games?
PS4 definitely, if only to make the transition easier. Now, if their backwards compatibility stretched all the way back to PS1, that would be interesting.
Yes they confirmed that it will play the vast majority of PS4 games without issue and will even upscale.
Its time to play can’t wait
Would you need a 4k TV or will this work on older sets like plasma etc?
Should work fine as long as it’s got an HDMI. It’ll sample down to 1080p
It’ll look better in 4K but it’s not necessary, you can still use your old tv just fine. I’ve been wondering whether to upgrade to 4K myself, I’m just so in love with my full HD Bravia and there’s nothing wrong with it, really. Has great speakers, too.
It should work with other HDTV systems but if you’re interested in upgrading to 4K TV then go for it. If you do, I prefer TCL 4K TV of any size because I recently got mine (43”) and it was on sale for at least $240 some dollars including tax & TCL always has some good TVs for fair price. With 4K & HDR, the graphics should be perfect.
It’s so stinking pretty! Love it! can’t waaaaait!!!! :D
Loving it but i have a vr headset will it work with the new ps5
All PSVR will work on PS5 and, though they haven’t explained it yet, the VR should really take advantage of the huge performance increase to run and look even better.
I love it, amazing!
Take my money 😜
I have PS4 Discs so I must get disc version? Or will you implement some sort of check that we still have the game and let us get digital?
I really dig the console design! If I didn’t need a 4k Blu Ray Player I’d get the Digital Edition, I buy all my games digitally anyway. But I need to play my 4k Blu Ray’s somehow.
Now is the slot at the bottom for Vita Game Cards!?
I hope Sony has plans to add backward compatibility from other past PlayStation systems. I like to see PS3 playable for PS5 (physical copies) because I still have some copies of PS3 games I like to replay with. Also PS one classics (like when you buy these digitally classic games for PS3, PSP & PS Vita) so I can replay these games too. Adding classic PS2 games to play with should be cool too. I don’t think all will be playable (mainly some licensing issues like Disney games from PS one classics) but still.
Absolutely LOVE the look of the console, really impressed by the step away from the norm (and away from the complete lack of imagination by Microsoft). Excites for Spider-Man, hoping there is a follow up to the first game coming soon though. Surprised you got an exclusive out of Square, hopefully it launches in the next five years. HZD, REVIII, Demon Souls, Kena, and Little Devil all look fantastic. Really hoped for Killzone to make it back and an announcement for GOW, but maybe next show.
Nailed it!!! Demon’s Souls, Horizon II, Spiderman, Kena, and Rachet and Clank… yes! Console is stunning as well! Going to be a very hard decision between disc or digital version!
Gonna be honest it looks ugly but won’t matter because I’ll be looking at the tv screen gaming. Buuuut will the new Astro Bot game have a VR mode? Astro Bot VR was such a amazing game it’ll be a let down if it doesn’t have a VR mode. Or at least later on can you add it via update. Great show btw!!! Now just let us know when can we pre-order so I can grab two. One for me and one for the wife.
The PS5 looks sleeker than all the other PS systems, Im so excited to eventually buy a PS5! ☺😊
Stunning design. I noticed that you did not show the back where all the outputs are. I am currently using the optical output (Toslink) on my PS4 Pro to connect to my DAC. Would you be able to confirm whether the PS5 will have a Toslink output?
If I get the disc drive can I still be able to download other stuff if I want to ?
Come on you really didn’t need to ask that lol.
The new PS5 Console looks so damn great, I love it. The design works well with cooling and keeping it from overheating. If anyone doesn’t like the design, GTFO right now. You lack a sense of taste as the designer team work hard on it. #PlayStation5 #Sony
PS5 Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive <- That's one I'm getting. Why would I buy a console without Disc Drive?
Honestly I was blown away. I had no words because this thing just screams sexiness. Who ever designed this needs a raise. Its sleek yet menacing. Curvy yet bold. Add to the finishing touch the blue LED and pair that with the white sides and it just pops out. Like this console makes a stand and sticks out because it rightfully can. I am so happy with the design and can not wait to get my hands on one of these. Now the only question is which one I am going to get. I will see in the next upcoming days but for now its time to celebrate by gaming for the rest of the night.
I want all black or all white Edition
espectacular todo pero cuando se puede comprar y en que ciudades?
I remember the hype and excitement for PS4. PS5 lands with a resounding ‘meh’
A great variety of games! Looking forward to some live gameplay demos, prior to console release…
The console looks so cool. My only reservation is that white is a dirt magnet! Hoping for an all black case and controller edition to make it perfect for me.
Will it come in black please, Sony.
Yeah, design of the console is great, but games on presentation mostly are not. We came here to watch next gen and see this? At the moment it looks like not a best idea to buy console on start. Plus not fully backward compatibility it is not good at all. Sony, try better or lose.
Glad someone else realized games weren’t impressive at all.But I don’t understand how people weren’t expecting this…games won’t look much better than they already do,if so it’ll take 2 to 3 years for the difference to start appearing.Well it shows how unnecessary a PS5 is but…money.
I need to know if I can transfer my ps4 game library over to the ps5
A stunning piece of art.
It will be nice in my room.
Could’ve made a handheld PlayStation. I don’t see a screen built onto it. PSP and Vita pretty good back in the days. I guess we won’t see any new handheld anytime soon.
Handhelds already the future….
You can buy a Nintendo if you want to play handheld indie games and last gen titles. Why in the world would you ever expect to see anything like that in an actual PlayStation console announcement?
Or were you thinking like…an actual next gen console that was also a portable? You’re dreaming dude.
Okay, so heaps more games are coming out. I like to have more One Piece,(the cartoon) games and an one way Metal Gear Solid. And an m rated Uncharted.
I am explaining myself better by having the idea of
Remake Mgs1 or 2
Bring back Uncharted 3 online
And make another one piece game.
The most beautiful console ever made. Thanks Sony. Now show us God of War 5 please !
And where is a back buttons on the controller?
Well that pretty much fills up my game schedule for 2021 already!