Larian Studios shares first details on gameplay, multiplayer and pre-orders
We’re Larian Studios, developers of Divinity: Original Sin 2 and Baldur’s Gate 3, and we’re proud to bring you the news that Baldur’s Gate 3 is coming to PS5 on August 31, 2023!
The land of Faerûn is under siege by a hostile and otherworldly force known as mind flayers. Their army expands with every brain they infect with parasitic tadpoles, a creature that now wriggles deep within your own mind. You are becoming one of them: a monster feared across many worlds. But as their corruption grows within you, so do mysterious new powers.
Baldur’s Gate 3 is a next-generation cinematic RPG set in the Forgotten Realms. It’s a true Dungeons & Dragons experience in video game form, and the long-awaited third installment in the Baldur’s Gate series. Whether you’ve been waiting for this game for 20+ years or the previous sentence is a mystery to you, adventure awaits you in Baldur’s Gate 3’s tale of fellowship and betrayal, sacrifice and survival, and the lure of absolute power.
Create a character of your own or play as one of a dream-team of handcrafted Origin characters, each with their own unique traits, agenda, and outlook on the world. Their stories intersect with the entire narrative, and your choices will determine whether those stories end in redemption, salvation, domination, or many other outcomes.
Baldur’s Gate 3 is our biggest cinematic storytelling epic yet, and it’s designed to be played solo or with friends. With split-screen co-op for up to two players on one PS5, or as up to four players online, you and your chosen allies can combine forces in combat or split up to follow your own quests and agendas. Concoct the perfect plan together…or introduce an element of chaos when your friends least expect it.
Our trailer gave you a first look at General Ketheric Thorm, one of three main antagonists you’ll encounter as you traverse the Forgotten Realms. Ketheric is a man with complex ambitions and motivations, so in searching for his voice, we knew we needed to work with a renowned character actor who could deliver the kind of nuanced performance we were looking for – so we decided to cast JK Simmons (Whiplash, Spider-Man). One take and we knew we’d made the right call. Here’s a peek behind the scenes:
We’ll introduce you to two more antagonists over the coming months – keep an eye out. (But definitely close your eyes if someone approaches with anything resembling a tadpole.)
Baldur’s Gate 3 is coming to PS5 on August 31, 2023, but if you’re itching to gather your party and set out for adventure, you can pre-order Baldur’s Gate 3 Collector’s Edition or Baldur’s Gate 3: Deluxe Edition today to get a head start on your Forgotten Realms journey on August 28th.
Baldur’s Gate 3 Collector’s Edition
Each Collector’s Edition contains:
- A digital copy of Baldur’s Gate 3 Deluxe Edition
- Custom sticker sheet
- 25cm Mind Flayer vs. Drow battle diorama
- 160-page hardcover art book
- Cloth map of Faerûn
- Set of D&D-inspired origin character sheets
- Metal tadpole keyring
- Magic: The Gathering booster pack
- Custom-engraved metal d20, plus an in-game version!
- Certificate of authenticity
By pre-ordering the Collector’s Edition you’ll also receive the contents of the Deluxe Edition, including 72-hours early access to Act I of Baldur’s Gate 3 at launch. All pre-orders will ship in time for launch.
Baldur’s Gate 3 Deluxe Edition
This fully digital Deluxe Edition of Baldur’s Gate 3 contains:
- Playable Bard Song Pack
- Exclusive in-game dice skin
- An Adventurer’s Pouch containing supplies to help you get your journey started
- Digital downloads of the Baldur’s Gate 3 Original Soundtrack, artbook and character sheets
- 72-hours early access to Act I of Baldur’s Gate 3 on August 31, 2023
As well as this pack of items inspired by Divinity: Original Sin II:
- Mask of the Shapeshifter: Allows you to change race and appearance on the fly, inspired by Fane
- Cape of the Red Prince: Cloak inspired by the Red Prince
- Lute of the Merryweather Bard: Playable instrument inspired by Lohse
- Needle of the Outlaw Rogue: Dagger inspired by Sebille
- Bicorne of the Sea Beast: Headgear inspired by Beast
- Paintings from Rivellon: Discover a new collection of paintings across the Forgotten Realms
State of Play: All Announcements
- Atmospheric sci-fi western roguelike The Foglands launches on PS VR2 this year
- Dive into the jungle with Green Hell VR on PlayStation VR2, out 2023
- Synapse brings dual-wielding VR action exclusively to PS VR2 this year
- Destiny 2: Lightfall launch trailer and new quality-of-life features revealed, out Feb 28
- Humanity: intriguing puzzler gets new gameplay details and demo release today as part of State of Play
- Journey to Foundation brings Asimov’s epic sci-fi series to life on PS VR2
- Tchia sets sail on PS4 and PS5 on March 21 as part of PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium
- A closer look at PS VR2 narrative adventure Before Your Eyes ahead of its March 10 launch
- Street Fighter 6 rounds out its launch roster with Cammy, Lily and Zangief
- Goodbye Volcano High launches this June on PS5 and PS4
- Baldur’s Gate 3 launches on PS5 August 31
- Naruto X Boruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Connections launches 2023 on PS4 and PS5
- Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League debuts 4-player co-op gameplay and more at State of Play
- Wayfinder: PS4 and PS5 players get exclusive Early Access to the character-based online RPG in May
- Resident Evil 4 trailer debuts new action gameplay, announces Mercenaries mode, demo