How to make best use of your abilities, vehicles and more when id shooter launches on PS4 tomorrow
Rage 2 arrives on PlayStation 4 this week and the fine folks at id Software have assembled Earth’s mightiest tips and tricks to help you get started on your journey through the wasteland.
From general survival advice, to more pointed tips about specific upgrades, this list has you covered. There are also some really stupid tips we threw in just for funsies.
Getting started in the wasteland
- Find all the Arks scattered through the wasteland. These are vital to obtaining all the weapons and abilities in the game. You can gather Ark locations by talking to people in the hub cities, finding clues in datapads, or just coming across them as you explore.
- Spend lots of time with your weapons. All weapons can be upgraded, which gives them additional features, and many of them also possess a secondary fire mode.
- Rage 2 is all about push-forward combat. This is not a cover shooter. Speed, aggression, and violence reign supreme in the wasteland. Get into the fight and get your hands dirty.
- Horde Feltrite like your life depends on it, because it just might. Feltrite can be found in crates around the world, on enemies, and on meteorites that have crash-landed on Earth. Spend Feltrite to upgrade your weapons and abilities.
- Spend those project points! Everything you do in the wasteland gains you favour with one of three core characters. As you level up with them, you’ll accrue project points that can be spent to get additional upgrades. The ammo carry upgrades are super useful, as are the upgrades to help you find datapads and chests.
- Buy schematics from vendors around the wasteland to upgrade your throwable items like Wingsticks, Grenades and Turret Drones.
- Don’t forget to sell your junk. Retailers in Wellspring, Gunbarrel, Oasis, Lagooney and Dreadwood will buy all that junk you’ve been hauling around in exchange for cold hard cash.
- Poke your nose into all the wasteland’s nooks and crannies. You never know what you might find hidden in the dark corners of the world.
- Get creative! Not every mission needs to be solved with a bullet. Sometimes if you do a little recon before taking on a side objective, you might just find a button that solves all your problems for you.
- Somewhere out in the wasteland, there’s a very special chair. You’ll know it when you see it. Find the chair. The chair is life. The chair is love.
- Cheating is fun. Rage 2 is adding an old school layer of over-the-top fun with a Cheats system, meaning your already insane action is going to get… just plain weird. Enable Cheats to add some spice (and laughs) to your journey. (Note: Trophies are disabled when Cheats are in use.)
- Upgrade the cooldown for your Nanotrite abilities first. The faster you can use your abilities in combat, the more effective you’ll be and the quicker you’ll be able to unleash Overdrive, which brings us to the next rule…
- Don’t forget Overdrive! Not only does it power up all your weapons and abilities, Overdrive also regenerates your health. Being able to chain abilities and weapons to quickly fill your Overdrive meter is key to owning the battlefield. Combat really opens up when you master your combos.
- Come on and Slam, and welcome to the… pain. Crippling pain. The higher up you are, the more devastating your Slam will be. Slam can also help you mitigate fall damage if you time it right.
- Use Dash often. It’s a great way to avoid fire from very difficult enemies (like Authority Sentries, Cyber Crushers and the Immortal Shrouded). Plus, when combined with the Grav-Jump, Dash can help you get to hard-to-reach places.
- See a vehicle out on the road that you like? Steal it and bring it back to the garage at one of the hub cities like Wellspring, Gunbarrel, Lagooney or Dreadwood in order to make it yours. Once a car is yours, you can call it in at any time from the Vehicles tab in the menu
- Don’t worry if you can’t find your vehicle. In addition to being able to call in any of the rides in your garage from the Vehicles tab, you can also hold open your weapon wheel and call in the Phoenix from there.
- Use the hand brake. It’s your friend when navigating the hard streets of Rage 2.
- Learn how to use the Phoenix’s ram function. Not only is it fun for just bumping other drivers off the road, it’s especially handy when taking on a convoy.
- On that note, don’t try and fight a convoy before you upgrade your Phoenix’s weapons and armour.
- The Ejector Seat upgrade for the Phoenix is a must-have. When hitting top speed in the Phoenix, hold down the exit button and you’ll be launched out the car superhero style. Combo it with slam to make a stylish entrance.
And last, but definitely not least, have fun! If you’re not having fun, you’re doing it wrong. See the other tips on this list to help rectify the situation.