Media Molecule expand on their acclaimed PS Vita adventure
We’ve got a very special message for you all: we are bringing the magical papery world of Tearaway to PlayStation 4!
- New inFAMOUS First Light trailer debuts, new features detailed
- New The Order: 1886 trailer makes its debut at Gamescom 2014
- LittleBigPlanet 3: New create tools and features detailed
- PS4 exclusive The Tomorrow Children announced at Gamescom 2014
- Occult mystery The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is coming to PS4
- Hollowpoint from Ruffian Games will make its console debut on PS4
- Hellblade announced for PS4, from Heavenly Sword studio Ninja Theory
- Stunning new Rime trailer debuts at Gamescom 2014
- Upcoming PS4 system update v2.00 to add Share Play, YouTube, more
- Until Dawn unveiled for PS4 at Gamescom 2014
- Feast your eyes on a brand new DRIVECLUB trailer
- New Destiny trailer debuts at Gamescom 2014
- Tearaway Unfolded unveiled for PS4 at Gamescom 2014
- Alienation unveiled at Gamescom 2014
- Introducing WiLD, a PS4 exclusive from Rayman creator Michel Ancel
- New Far Cry 4 trailer debuts at Gamescom, Keys of Kyrat detailed
Now, if you know anything about Tearaway, your first thoughts on hearing that might be: “but that’s just plain impossible, yo!” and you’d be right! A straight port would be impossible, but we were super keen for Tearaway to make the jump to PS4 and we’re not the kind of folks to let something like the impossible get in our way!
So we started jamming and experimenting, and the result is Tearaway Unfolded – an expanded retelling of the original game, adapted for PS4, and rebuilt from the ground up to use all the unique features of the Dualshock 4, and with a bigger prettier world running at 1080p and targeting 60fps to boot.
The original Tearaway was a little papery world held entirely in your hands, and we used all the features of the PS Vita to deliver an experience that was as lifelike and also fourth-wall-breaking as possible. With Tearaway Unfolded, we want to do the same thing, only this time the world is inside your TV and you interact with it using the unique inputs of the controller…
It doesn’t make sense for players to get up from the sofa, wander over to the TV and literally touch the world like they did in the PlayStation Vita version, but there are other ways you’ll be able to physically interact with the game instead.
From the comfort of your couch, you can swipe the touch pad to unleash great gusts of wind, and send them howling into the world to unfold rippling bridges or send enemies tumbling from cliffs! The power of wind can also be used to propel Atoi through the skies in a paper plane, so you can explore the larger new world from above.
We also use the controller in more surprising ways too! You can shine the controller’s light bar into the TV to light up dark and gloomy places, growing and transforming the scenery, and guiding Atoi along her way. Your little messenger companion can also throw items and creatures out of your TV and into your controller, where you can listen to them rattling around, before sending them hurtling back into the world.
Tearaway Unfolded will be a familiar story, but with new ways to play, new places to explore, and a world that looks really rather stunning on PS4! Check it out in our trailer, and please let us know what you think in the comments below!