Will you become champion, or will you die in a shallow grave with no one to remember you?
Story of a Gladiator is an arena beat ’em up out on PS4 today, where you play the role of a man in search of his destiny. You start with nothing but a broken shield and sword, sent forth into the arena where you are expected to die for the crowd’s entertainment. You must turn the odds in your favor if you want to become champion one day.
Becoming a champion will be difficult, but if you follow these tips, you will surely find the coin and glory that you seek… not to mention getting to keep your head!
Break the Greek defenses
- In the later stages of the Greek campaign, you will find gladiators who will block your attacks. Break their defense by using jump attack level 2 or critical strike level 4.
The beasts from Carthage
- Many of the battles in the African campaign will be against tigers, panthers, and lions. These beasts will run at you with great speed, claw you, and run away! Be ready to attack when you see one running towards you!
- The run skill has great synergy with many other skills, amplifying their strength. You should consider using those combos as much as possible.
- Doing a roll dodge while running will push you forward almost double the distance.
- Doing a jump attack while running will give you a +100% bonus damage.
- You can use your shield and bash your enemies while you are running.
- If you keep dying, change your skill build and try something different. Some enemies require a different set of skills to be defeated. Boss fights which almost always require a specific skill combination.
- The elite army of the Roman empire is very organized and have some of the strongest gladiators. They will come at you nonstop, and if you’re not careful, death can be swift.
- Consider getting block level 2 to block incoming attacks and counter-attack them.
- Jump attack level 3 (uninterrupted attack) will allow you to get an attack across even if it means taking some damage. Repeated jump attacks can deal a lot of damage.
- Unbreakable skill is a must, as it will allow you to escape and stay alive when you get surrounded and beaten down.
- You will probably also need high stamina as these fights are quite intensive, and you will need to use many abilities in a short time.
- Lastly, some battles will prove impossible without the help of the god of war, Mars. Build up crowd energy on the first wave and call upon him on the second or third wave and see your enemies turn against each other!
- The tiger will attack anyone who hits you. While in block mode, you take almost no damage and your tiger will retaliate on those who attacked you, hurting and damaging them. Tigers are also useful to break enemy attacks when you get hurt nonstop by multiple enemies.
- Panthers are a sure way to deal damage to enemies as they go around every few seconds looking for someone to bite. You can also play the long game with a panther by running around doing nothing while your pet slowly kills them.
- Lions attack the same enemy you attack and require a bit more coordination, however the 2 of you attacking together will make it impossible for enemies to escape.
- You can also feed your pet with different types of foods that give them extra damage, double attack and stun attacks.
This mode features permadeath, so you should understand how the game works very well before you attempt it. Every time you win a battle you gain a life, and when you lose a battle, you lose a life. When you lose all your lives, then you die permanently.
- It’s important to win the Greek campaign with almost no defeats as it’s the easiest, and you will need the extra lives in the more difficult campaigns of Africa and Rome.
- Coin is very important, so you may want to consider building the amulet of Jupiter to gain extra coin in battles.
- There is no option to replay battles in this mode, thus you will need to try and get 2-3 star victories to get bonus performance coin. Try to win without losing any health at all to score a perfect bonus, which gives you another extra 10% coin.
Good luck, gladiator. Die with honor!