Test your skills with Gunfight Mode's rotating selection of weapon loadouts – no PS Plus required. Ends August 25.
No need to wait until Call of Duty: Modern Warfare launches this fall to try the intense new Gunfight Mode. PlayStation 4 users can deploy into a free Alpha for the 2v2 mode from August 23 to 25. Anyone with a PS4 and an internet connection can access the Alpha and play (no PS Plus membership required). The Alpha includes five close-quarters maps, including two never-before-played locales: Docks and Speedball.
Prepare yourself with a Gunfight Mode overview and tips. We competed in several heated matches during a recent Modern Warfare hands-on event and walked away with helpful tactics.
Gunfight Mode Overview
Unlike Modern Warfare’s core Multiplayer experience – which is all about insanely deep weapon customization – Gunfight Mode is about adapting to unpredictable loadouts in intimate 2v2 maps. It’s a refreshing, intense contrast that enriches the overall package.
The goal is simple: First team to win five rounds secures victory. The catch is each team begins a given round with a “random” weapon loadout. Infinity Ward has curated a wide range of loadouts, from pistol and rocket launcher combos to scoped shotguns. You never know what you’re going to get, so quick thinking and fast reflexes are rewarded. The opposing team starts with the same loadout, which makes predicting enemy strategies crucial.
Experienced Call of Duty players will pick up the nuances of combat quickly. Even so, here are some tips to get you started:
- Study Your Loadout – Your primary weapon is obvious, but look deeper to your sidearm, grenade, and gear. Sometimes your pistol will offer better range that the shotgun you spawned with. Don’t mistake your smoke grenade for a flash bang in the heat of the moment. Mind the details!
- Listen Carefully – Modern Warfare’s multiplayer removes the mini–map by default. Keep your ears peeled for the crunch of enemy footsteps and other positional cues. Keep your head on a swivel. Headphones make a big difference, too.
- Pulling Overtime – An Overtime Flag appears if opposing players are still standing after 40 seconds. First team to secure the central flag wins the round.
- Be Unpredictable – Both teams start with sniper rifles and pistols? Take advantage of your enemies’ tunnel vision by storming the map, chucking a grenade, and brandishing that sidearm. Wildcard strategies make you harder to predict.
- Move Together – Generally goes without saying, but teams that move together live longer. This forces your enemies to think a second longer before engaging. Also, if you die via a surprise attack, your surviving ally has a chance to avenge your death and with the round.
- Embrace Discovery – Gunfight Mode is a brilliant way to get trigger time with a diverse set of weapons. Who knows – maybe the random loadouts will lead you to fall in love with a new approach to combat to take into Team Deathmatch and other Multiplayer modes.
Play the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Gunfight mode Alpha on PS4 from August 23 to 25, exclusively on PS4. The full game arrives October 25.