Titanfall 2: First Look at Respawn’s Single-Player Debut

14 1
Titanfall 2: First Look at Respawn’s Single-Player Debut

Titanfall 2 may technically be Respawn’s first foray into a story-based campaign, but the team’s pedigree inspires confidence, as did the first-hand look I was offered at Respawn’s HQ earlier this month. While there, I saw excerpts from Titanfall 2’s single-player campaign before playing a few hours of its multiplayer (more on that soon).

Titanfall 2’s story puts players in the boots of Jack Cooper, a Militia rifleman who dreams of piloting his own Titan. At the beginning of Titanfall 2’s story, Jack realizes this dream — under less-than-ideal circumstances. After their first encounter, players set out to locate a power source for an incapacitated BT-7274 (“BT,” for short). After finding and installing it, the pilot and machine form a neuro-link, at which point Jack is able to take control of BT and the game kicks off in earnest.

One might assume that a game featuring pilots controlling giant mechs would spend most of its time putting players in the cockpit, but Respawn is taking care to balance the campaign’s time between pilot combat, Titan combat, and more environmental mobility-focused sequences. One stretch of our demo saw Jack using a combination of jet pack boosts and wall-running techniques to navigate a chasm that would have been impossible for BT to pass.

Sometimes the best solution is the simplest one, though — at one point, Jack and BT encounter a dead end, with more structures dozens (maybe hundreds?) of feet away. BT suggests that the only way forward is a throw, to which Jack replies… well, he replies one of two ways, depending on the player’s choice. Yep, Titanfall 2 features multiple dialogue options, though based on what I saw it doesn’t seem to be as central to the experience as something you’d find in, say, Mass Effect or a Telltale game. The few open-ended moments I saw each gave Jack two response choices, mapped to either up or down on DualShock 4’s D-pad.

But back to the throw! BT suggests that Jack climb into his hand to be tossed across this massive abyss, a maneuver that BT pegs at a 64% chance of success. The person driving our demo chose the response “What about the other 36%?!” which was met with a comically dry assessment of the catastrophic results of a hypothetical missed throw. More personal moments like this punctuate the action-packed, explosive sequences that players might expect to make up the bulk of Titanfall 2.

After the event at Respawn HQ ended, I sat down with Chris “Soupy” Dionne, single-player designer on Titanfall 2, to chat about how the team is adapting a heretofore primarily multiplayer experience into a fully fledged single-player campaign.

The story focuses on Jack and BT, but they’re not the only personalities on display in Titanfall 2. At one point, when searching for a comms beacon that’s crucial to their mission, our heroes come across an occupied enemy base and can listen into their radio chatter. “Get to the beacon, now!” orders a particularly animated character with a striking Austrian accent. Our demo ends after we fight our way to him (and his Titan, of course) and he opens the cockpit for an overconfident, face-to-face pre-battle taunt.

Titanfall 2 launches on PlayStation 4 October 28, 2016. What I saw here was but a brief glimpse of its story, but it’s clear that Respawn is making its debut single-player campaign one to keep an eye on. Hang on, BT, I’m on my way!

Comments are closed.


1 Author Reply

  • I am sold. I never got into all the hype of the original though i did nab it for free thanks to EA Access on that other console. But with Single-player on Titanfall 2 i will check it out.

  • Wish it was 60 fps though. :(

  • This should be more advertised and marketed for PlayStation than COD.

    Black Ops 3 will be the last COD game I will buy this gen. For those who want a slight COD fix Titanfall 2 is the way to go

  • Playing Titan fall right now as I type this can’t wait for part 2 have my pre order already set up.

  • This is game is so bought D1!!! So excited to play Titanfall for the first time. Thanks for finally bringing your franchise to the best gamers on the planet! My #1 FPS purchase this fall. Thank you!

  • I want to be inside that titan

    yes I’m being naughty.

  • I’m glad they’re adding a campaign. Best of luck to them with this game!

  • Lol attack on Titan $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$sold$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

  • So exited for this. Played the crap out of Titanfall 1 on the other console. Best fps ever in my opinion. Glad to see Titanfall 2 coming on ps4. Ill be buying the ps4 version for sure. Single player component looks incredible, can’t wait

  • Any chance for Split-screen in the multiplayer? Would be a game seller for me.

  • I wasn’t interested in TF1 due to the lack of a campaign so this is good to hear, especially because the devs say the campaign is inspired by the latest Wolfenstein and Doom instalments.

  • They need to give the controller option to have the ADS down sights on the L1 and the fire trigger on the R1 like COD! It’s a hard transition and possibly a deal breaker if this can’t be changed. Anyone else feel the same???

Please enter your date of birth.