Greetings, citizens of Earth — I’m here to talk about, uh… Citizens of Earth. Errr, right! Today, ATLUS and indie developer Eden Industries will put you in the role of the second-highest bureaucrat on the planet, the Vice President of Earth. But don’t let the politics fool you, because there aren’t any in the game. It’s a retro-inspired RPG through and through, where as the VP you have to go around and figure out why the world has gone mad.
But here’s the deal. When you’re a career politician, you don’t get your hands dirty, you make other people do it for you. As the VP, your job will be to recruit as many citizens as possible and use their special abilities to round out your party. There are more than 40 citizens total, but you can only bring three of them with you at a time. And in addition to basic combat skills, the citizens also have special talents that can be utilized to help outside of combat. Deep in a dungeon and need some health items? Have your Brother order some health items from FedUPs delivery. Difficulty too easy/hard? Check in with the School Mascot. Tired of traveling on foot? The Used Car Salesman can hook you up with a sweet ride!
And then there’s the combat: it’s not quite as simple as mashing “Attack” for every fight. Every skill either depletes or replenishes energy — the more damaging or powerful skills require more energy, so it’s best to put a bit of thought into your attacks beforehand. Of course, if you really wanted to, you could avoid combat as much as possible — there are no random encounters in Citizens of Earth, you can see every enemy on the world map. If you’re quick enough, you can slip through unscathed! Alternatively, if you’re overly powerful for some enemies, you can send your citizens charging through their ranks and earn XP without even having to go into combat!
Sounds pretty awesome, correct? Correct! But we want you to start off on the right foot, so we put together a list of some of our favorite citizens to have in your party:
- Baker — He has a lot of funny lines in the game and is just a really well-rounded character that gets fire elemental attacks early on. Plus, you can score some super useful baked goods from him.
- Handyman — There’s no skating around this, he’s seen some… things… in his life, and his world-weary demeanor leads to some great interactions between him and the Vice President. Plus, if there’s a broken door blocking your egress, the Handyman’s got you covered. Oh, plus his combat philosophy is “there’s no problem a power tool can’t fix”, and let’s not forget about the healing powers of duct tape.
- Pilot — Straight out of Top Gun and a total badass. Once recruited, she can fly you around to different map locations making life much easier. And there may be no greater joy than watching her turn on the afterburners on some dirty hippies.
- Musician — They must’ve pulled him from a back-up band, because the Musician is an excellent support class. The dulcet tones of a funky bass line will heal your party over time, while his inspiring pop-ballads will damage enemies every turn.
- The Cat Lady — She loves cats more than the internet does. So much so that her abilities scale with not just her energy but the amount of Cats she has on her. The additional resource management takes some strategizing, but like her 2-story in-home cat gymnasium, it’s worth it.
- The Captain — Yarr! This heavy damage dealer is the scourge of the seven seas! …And also the scourge of various lakes and streams, and at least one fjord! Plus, he’s a %&$@ pirate! What’s not to like!?