Jeff and Rey have officially landed in Germany, the site of Europe’s largest video game conference in Gamescom 2011. I’ll be hanging back in California to make sure North American PlayStation.Blog readers get any major news and announcements as quickly as possible. Protip: Keep our Facebook livestream bookmarked and check back Tuesday morning for an update.
In other news, this week saw a smattering of big PlayStation blog posts, starting with my new Starhawk interview; a preview of the new castmembers in White Knight Chronicles II; an insider view of Deathspank’s meatiest adventure in The Baconing; an UNCHARTED 3 and Resistance 3 multiplayer competition in Raleigh, North Carolina hosted by MLG; a comprehensive update on all of NIS America’s 2011 releases (including Disgaea 4); PAX happenings for the gorgeous reverse-shooter Retro/Grade; a Dead Island zombie photo shoot; a new Resistance 3 motion-capture documentary; and a PSN release update for Beat Hazard Ultra.
What are you playing this weekend?
- I’m playing: Galaga Legions DX, Resistance 3 Multiplayer Beta
- I’m watching: Sports Night on Netflix PS3 instant streaming, Attack the Block
- I’m reading: Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts by Carol Tavris and Elliot Aronson
Most-Watched Video of the Week: God of War: Origins Collection – PSP Vs. PS3
The 10 Most-Viewed Posts of the Week
- PS3 System Software Update (v3.70) — Our top story this week details just what you’ll get in the new PS3 firmware 3.70, available now. From automatic cloud game saves and Trophy synching for PlayStation Plus users to new options for 3D content, what’s your favorite new feature?
- PlayStation Store Update — This week, Freddy Krueger makes his Mortal Kombat debut, Far Cry 2 emerges as a full game download, and demos for Madden NFL 12 and Driver: San Francisco arrive on PSN. Also: New PlayStation Plus content.
- ModNation Racers: Suggest a Name for the Upcoming PS Vita Game — Making a good game name is hard work! My favorite suggestions so far: ModNation Turbo Touch, ModNation Racers: Touch ‘n Go, ModNation Racers: Sideswipe, and ModWorld. What’s your top pick?
- Coming Soon: Madden NFL 12 & Need for Speed SHIFT PSP Entertainment Pack — Coming just in time for football season (August 30th), this new PSP Entertainment Pack gives you two new UMD games, a 2GB Memory Stick Pro Duo, and a PSP-3000 for $159.99.
- Assassin’s Creed Revelation Beta Opens to PlayStation Plus September 3rd — The next exclusive beta for PlayStation Plus members is coming sooner than you think. Get the full download on suipported modes, characters, and maps in a post from Assassin’s Creed community manager.
- Global Resistance Update: Strategies and Resistance 3 Unlocks — This free web game hosted on myresistance.net paints a wider portrait of humanity’s final battle with the Chimera. The game’s community manager explains how Insomniac Games has addressed balancing issues and dishes out winning tactics.
- Herculean Task: Remastering God of War: Origins Collection for PS3 — Making a PSP game look great in high-def is no small task, and Ready At Dawn’s art director Nathan Phail-Liff shows how the magic happened. The team added high-res textures, higher polygon counts, and 3D support for a game that new runs at 1080p and 60 frames per second.
- Pre-orders for PlayStation Network PLAY Begin Now! — If you’re intrigued by the PSN PLAY game lineup (Street Fighter III, The Baconing, BloodRayne: Betrayal, and Renegade Ops), be sure to pre-order them soon so you can earn extra bonus content. Street Fighter III’s pre-order option ends 8/18, so don’t wait.
- BioShock Infinite Q&A: Ken Levine’s PlayStation Moves — Irrational Games’ president and creative director tells PlayStation.Blog readers why the PS3, PlayStation Move and PS Vita are top-of-mind at the award-winning studio, and gives us a new glimpse into the stunning world(s) of BioShock Infinite.
- MotorStorm Apocalypse Monster Update: Mode Editor, Steering Wheels and Move — What’s better than a new update? A free one. This downloadable expansion adds a ton of new features to the apocalyptic racer, from a game Mode Editor to support for PlayStation Move, steering wheels, and expanded online options.