Welcome to the remastered, revamped, rejuvenated PlayStation Recap! Rather than overwhelm you with a list of all of the 30+ PlayStation.Blog posts we publish each week, I’ll be collecting the 10 most-read stories. The result — hopefully — is a more relevant Recap that’s a little easier on the eyes. Be sure to let me know what you think in the comments!
This week was a return to normalcy after the creative chaos that was E3 2011. We published a host of E3 Replay posts that collected the best of our E3 livestream segments for posterity. We also published some fascinating new details on the upcoming PlayStation Move update for LittleBigPlanet 2; announced a new Killzone 3 map pack called From the Ashes hitting PSN this Tuesday; shared a behind-the-scenes account of what led Red Johnson’s Chronicles developer Lexis Numérique from PC game development to PSN; revealed winners of the Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One skin design contest; and provided a first glimpse of 2012 PS3 shooter Aliens: Colonial Marines.
What was your favorite PlayStation.Blog post this week? Least favorite?
The 10 Most-Viewed Posts of the Week
- PlayStation Store Update — Outland, Magic The Gathering: Duels Of The Planeswalkers 2012 and Akimi Village drop for $9.99 each; Alice: Madness Returns DLC (and American McGee’s Alice) hit the Store; echochrome ii Music + Game bundle emerges for a limited time at $14.99; Midnight Club Los Angeles: Complete Edition motors in for $19.99; PlayStation Plus users get free Streets of Rage 2 and more.
- E3 2011: 11 Trailers You May Have Missed — See sci-fi shooter DUST 514, stealthy sequel Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, remastered PS3 God of War: Origins Collection, indie hit Papo & Yo, strategic large-scale shooter Starhawk and more. Which E3 trailer is your favorite?
- Tetris PSN Gets Free 3D Update — You aren’t seeing things — Tetris on PSN is now offering a free update that introduces stereoscopic 3D effects. If you’ve got a 3D TV, take the plunge and let us know what you think.
- Music Unlimited Expanding to Android Today, New Opportunity for PS3 Owners — PS3 owners who have never tried Music Unlimited’s music-streaming service can get a free trial for 180 days, while owners of Android mobile devices can finally get music to go by downloading the App from the Android Market.
- Sodium 2: Project Velocity Comes to PlayStation Home — PlayStation Home has a new game, and it’s a fast-paced, free-to-play combat racer with all the bells and whistles. See the game in action and learn what’s in store for Sodium 2: Project Velocity.
- Resistance 3 Dev Diary: Cold New World — PlayStation.Blog’s video virtuoso Rey Gutierrez delves into the mysterious underbelly of Insomniac Games’ exclusive PS3 shooter. In this behind-the-scenes documentary, see how the Chimera are mutating the planet’s ecosystem to match their own twisted image.
- Rage for PS3: E3 2011 Hands-On — Fun fact: id Software graphics mastermind John Carmack recently Tweeted that E3 attendees were mistaking Rage on PS3 for the high-end PC version. With this post, learn how post-apocalyptic shooter Rage harnesses the PS3’s horsepower and DualShock 3 to deadly effect.
- E3 Replay: LittleBigPlanet for PS Vita — At E3, many remarked that LittleBigPlanet was a natural choice for a PS Vita game, given its diverse gameplay styles and unmatched Create editing suite. Or, as Jeff puts it, “You can access the touch screens, accelerometers and more to make levels that are unlike any previously created in the LBP universe.”
- E3 Replay: Street Fighter X Tekken — I won’t make any chocolate-and-peanut-butter jokes (hopefully), but I will point out that Capcom’s latest fighting-game mashup is unlike any Street Fighter game I’ve ever played. See how Tekken’s distinctive pop-up fighting style and eclectic characters will alter your strategies with our new video.
- E3 Replay: Naughty Dog demos UNCHARTED 3 — Drake’s on a boat! Naughty Dog’s Arne Meyer gives us a guided tour of the demo you watched at the PlayStation E3 2011 press conference and on Jimmy Fallon.
Most-Watched Video of the Week: Battlefield 3 E3 2011 Q&A