If there’s anything we’ve learned in the first few weeks of MAG’s time on the battlefield, it’s that new players love to start out as the Rapid Assault class. A common soldier type on the battlefield, the Rapid Assault guys are all about speed and efficiency – and the guy who’s going to tell you how to master them is the always-awesome designer, Christopher Burns.
Watch the following video and then settle in as Chris takes us away to strategy land!
Hello folks, I’m Christopher Burns from Zipper Interactive and I’m here to help get you started using the Rapid Assault weapons and tactics.
- Rapid Assault troops are a combination of firepower and mobility. Their primary proficiency is with the Assault Rifle, and their Medium Armor frees them up to move quickly. With careful Armory choices, a properly-spec’d Rapid Assault troop can even and take on certain utility roles here and there for squads that need it.
- Concentrate on stability and accuracy improvements in the Assault Skill Tree as soon as possible. Proficiency with the Assault Rifle is your defining characteristic and will serve you well throughout your time with MAG.
- Build your loadouts from the ground up by equipping Medium Armor and the best Assault Rifle that you’ve unlocked to that point, then start adding to that. First, add any weapon attachments that you’ve unlocked, like the Foregrip and 4X sight. Then, move to the gear slots. I recommend moving the First Aid Kit to G1, and the grenades to G2. Some prefer having quicker access to grenades, but for me it is far more important to have ready access to healing.
- Your Assault Rifle is your claim to fame, but simply holding the trigger down is not good enough. Learn to fire in short bursts – it will lessen the effect of “knock-back” on the weapon, and more of your bullets will fly true to the target.
- Be ready to support your squad however you can. Rapid Assault loadouts usually have some free weight to play with, and you can make a huge impact by adding a gear item here and there.
- The loadout I prefer is the top tier Assault Rifle with 4X Optical Sight and Underbarrel Grenade Launcher, a Medical Kit in G1 and Smoke Grenades in G2. The Medical Kit will allow you to help out a bit on healing and revives (if you have purchased the ability), and the smoke will be a huge advantage when your squad rushes a bunker. When your problem is being cut to ribbons by a turret mini-gun, Smoke Grenades are by far the most effective and efficient solution. Use them!
- When things get up close and personal and ammo is running low, remember that it is much quicker to switch to your Backup Weapon than to reload your Primary. That’s what the skills in the Personal Defense tree are for. Once you have the Side-arm upgrades for Reload Speed, Swap Speed and Re-fire Time, you’ll be surprising a lot of people with that backup weapon.
Quite excellent sir, you are a scholar and a gentleman! That wraps up the Zip-Tips for this week. Join us again next week for our final week of developer tactics as we tackle the Sniper Class and MAG’s leadership abilities. Enjoy the weekend everybody.